On January 21st, 2017 over 4 million people took to the streets to march against the new Authoritarian Regime that had kicked off the day before. It was the largest group of people to protest an inauguration ever, Period!
Since then, huge droves common people-turned-activist have shown up in protests around the Country, at Town Halls, Courtrooms and in their Congress members offices to voice the concern with where the Country is headed.
The Resistance started with a Boom and has been expanding and reverberating ever since. The protests and town halls have slowed since the birth of The Resistance. The Conservative media machine would have you believe this is a sign that The Resistance is dying out. The fact is that nothing could be further from the truth.
Instead of just protesting in the streets and yelling & screaming at elected officials, The Resistance has also gone to work to bring about real change. This starts with getting Progressives elected.
Within a couple of months after the election, over 1,500 New grassroots organizations have been formed. And we’re winning local, state and Congressional races all over the Country.
This is what Democracy looks like!
In the words of Ilya Sheyman, Executive Director of Moveon.org “
“It’s clear that Republicans are out of ideas and facing a growing wave of resistance going into 2018”
This is the opportunity that The Resistance has naturally gravitated toward.
In the Special Elections on November 8th, 2017, The Resistance helped to get Danica Roem, the first transgender women elected to the Virginia legislature beating out the 13-term incumbent and author of the infamous “Bathroom Bill”; two of the first Latina women to serve in the Virginia general assembly; the first Sikh mayor (of Hoboken) who was labeled as “a terrorist” by his opponent, Montana’s first black Mayor and a number of progressive wins too lengthy to list.
Most of these races could not have been won without the help of the newly found grassroots groups that have formed out of The Resistance. While grassroots organizations are too busy keeping the momentum going to toot their own horn, I think we should all take a moment to recognize some of the incredible action these committees have accomplished.
Here is a list of 5 of the top organizations that either started this year or were heavily boosted from the placement of Donald Trump. This was not an easy list to compile.
- 6000+ groups in the US (2+ per congressional district)
- 200,000 participants
- 2,233 volunteers dialed 320,552 calls to kill Trmpcare
- The Indivisible Guide has been viewed over 18M times by more than 3M unique visitors
- Held over 1,200 voter conduct events in 50 swing districts
- Over 300,000 members
- Raised over $1M for new candidates In less than 48 hrs after the House Trumpcare vote
- Raised a total of $3,275,093 from 48,369 contributions for Dems in swing districts
- Started their website the day before the inauguration; had 200,000 signups by the first weekend!
- Endorsed 59 winning candidates in eighteen states including,
- 26 women
- 11 African and African-Americans
- 7 Latino / Latinas
- 4 Asian American/Pacific Islanders
- 4 openly LGBTQ candidates
- Also endorsed 2 winning ballot initiatives
- Mainers for Health Care
- Ohio Drug Price Relief Act
Run For Something
- Targets progressive candidates under 35
- Successfully helped in getting 41 candidates elected in 2017
- 3,300 people under 35 have signed up to run
Working Families Party
- 52,748 members as of July 2017
- 35 of 56 endorsed candidates won on Nov 7th
- NY chapter won 27 of 33 primaries
The Resistance is Alive and Well! This is just a small sampling of what we’ve done so far and we’re just getting started! Congratulate yourselves, but don’t give up. We ARE making a difference!